- Establishment of the Department : 1987
- Programme run by the department : BLISC (1987) & MLISC (1993)
- Total No. of teaching posts (Regular & Permanent teachers): 02
- Non-teaching posts : 01
- Department Infrastructure : Classroom, Well equipped Computer Laboratory with Internet facilities and Seminar Hall.
- UGC - Major Research Project & Minor Research Project : 02 completed.
- SET/NET qualified students
- ICT based teaching learning.
- Departmental Library
- Earn while learn scheme for students.
The vision for the department of library and information science at Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University is “to advance an agenda of Excellence in the quest to empower students with the knowledge values and skills to be continuous learners and practitioners who can in turn provide visionary leadership in addressing current and future challenges in the field of library and information science both nationally and internationally”.
In support of the university’s mission, the Department of library and information science provides exemplary education to develop leaders who collect, organise, preserve, manage and disseminate information in all formats. We do this by instilling values and beliefs in service to our communities in a global society.
The Department of Library and Information Science at Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University is represented by scholars in the field and is one of the ranked departments in the country.
The Department of Library and Information Science was established in 1987 under Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University. The Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLISC) 1 year course was started in 1987 and the Master of Library and Information Science (MLISC) course was started in 1993. Semester pattern has been started from 2017 in both these courses since 1993, Ph.D. program is also started in the department.
The library and information science department is on the second floor of the Knowledge Resource Center. Courses in the library and information science department are regularly updated to keep pace with emerging employment and development.
Aims and objectives:
- to train students with the advanced knowledge in library and information science with knowledge of Information Technology application in libraries and information centres
- to develop skills among students to discharge professional responsibilities in libraries and information centres
- to educate to familiar with advanced information processing techniques
- to provide efficient services to the users of modern libraries.
- to produce professionals to fulfill the requirements of this region in specific and the country as a whole
- to encourage research in library and information science and to train and produce professionally qualified staff for different positions in library and information science departments and academic and Research libraries.
- Selected and Rare Books
- Conference abstract books, souvenirs etc.
- Few Journals
- Theses in the field of Library & Information Science from various universities
- Research Projects