Department of Economics
About the Department:
The Department of Economics at the Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University, Amravati was established in the year 2017. The Department of Economics is amongst the younger of the Departments in the University, but it has made a qualitative contribution to research and Post Graduate education in economics since its initiation. It is part of the Faculty of Humanities. It runs a post-graduate course of two years (Four Semesters) namely Master of Arts in Economics (MA-Economics) with the intake capacity of 40 students in the first year. It aims at inculcation of Economic insights and knowledge among the students to promote economical views in the society to build a better India.
Vision of the Department:
The vision of the department of Economics consists of exploring the economic study and analysis, policy framing and implementation issues faced by the rural and urban economical society along with the analysis of other economies in the world. The university teaching department try to meet the demand of economical society in a dedicated manner and recognizes the growing demand for skilled manpower in rural and urban industry, local and private financial institutions, government, research and consultancy industries and other sectors.
Mission of the Department:
Mission of the post-graduate teaching department of Economics is to provide students with a concrete grasp of Economic thoughts, research, and financial institution in Indian economy and India’s relations with world economy.
Objectives of the Department:
- To encourage students for self-learning and reliance,
- Developed research attitude in students,
- Give the depth knowledge about national and international financial system, budgetary system, GST, current affairs, capital and money market,
- Increase the skills of students to qualify various competitive exams,
- To provide guidance about various employment opportunities and gives assistance to get appropriate jobs.
Department at a Glance:
- Establishment year of the Department: 2017
- Programme run by the Department: M. A. (Economics)-Semester Pattern
- Number of Teachers: 6 (C.H.B.)
- Number of Non-Teaching Members: 1 (Permanent)
- No. of Students Admitted in year 2020-2021: 78
- No. of Male Students: 37
- No. of Female Students: 41
- No. of Merit Students: 01
- No. of NET/SET qualified students: 03
- Department code: 529
Student’s progression and facilities other than the classroom teaching:
- Remedial coaching classes for SC, ST, OBC and Minority Students
- NET/SET coaching classes
- Earn and learn scheme
- Centralised online admission
- Scholarship: State and central government, social welfare department, and University Student Development Scholarship
- Industrial tour, educational tour and financial institution visit every academic year
- Organization of guest lecture on relevant and recent topics
- Organization of extension and cultural programmes
Post Graduate Teaching Department of Economics, established in the year 2017 in SGBAU Amravati. From the very first year of its formation a special focus was given on conducting student centric activities other than class room teaching. The curriculum (before its revision in the consecutive year) also involves internal assessment of students through their participation in the Society Economics process.
Name: Dr. Ravindra D. Sarode
Qualification: B. Sc. (PCM), MLISc. SET, Ph.D.