Library and Information Science department, Sant Gadge Baba University, Amravati was established in 1987. It was started in 1987 with Bachelor of Library & Information Science (BLISC) course of one year and starting with Master of Library & Information Science (MLISC) of one year course in 1993 with semester pattern . The department also has to its credit Ph. D. program from 1993 onwards. The department was headed by stalwarts in the field who are renowned scholars and brought laurels to this department by their academic and administrative acumen to this university and upgraded standard of this department as one of the leading LIS educational institutes in the country. Department is located on the second floor of Library building, Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University, Amravati. The department regularly updates its curriculum to keep pace with the emerging job-market and development.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To train students with the advanced knowledge in library and information science with knowledge of Information Technology application in libraries and information centers.
- To developed skills among students to discharge professional responsibilities in libraries and information centers.
- To familiar with advanced information processing techniques.
- To provide efficient services to the users of modern libraries.
- To produce professionals to fulfill the requirements of this region in specific and the country as a whole.
- To encourage research in library and information science and to train and produce professionally qualified staff for different positions in library and information science departments and academic and research libraries.
YEAR OF ESTABLISHMENT : 1987